|Flag of Chimaea|
|Motto: "The Truth Shall Set Us Free"|
|Map of Chimaea|
|Official Language(s)||English and Spanish|
|Leader||Lady Tanya Bryce, Governor of Chimaea|
|Population||> 6 billion|
|NS Sunset XML|
The Commonwealth of Chimaea is a roleplaying nation in NationStates. It entered the NS foray in February 2003 (just in time for the Amerigan Slaver War, and ceased to exist as an NS nation on October 14, 2004, only to return in early December of that year.
- Country name:
- Conventional long form:' Commonwealth of Chimaea
- Conventional short form: Chimaea
- Government type: Constitutional-based federal democratic commonwealth; previously with the British Monarch as nominal head, then with a Chimaean King as executive head and now with a Governor as a executive presidential equivalent
- Capital: New Sydney
- Administrative divisions: 12 States, 1 semi-autonomous island-nationstate
- Dependant Areas: Chimaean Colombia; Note: Chimaea and Knootoss supported a liberalised FARC in overthrowing the ineffective Colombian Government in the majority of Colombia, including the capital Bogota. After the dissolving of FARC, Colombia has joint-protectorate status of both Chimaea and Knootoss.
- Independence: 1st January 1784, independence from Great Britain
- National holiday: 31st May, Chimaea Day
- Constitution: 24th November, 1786; effective 1st January 1787
- Legal system: Based on English common law, accepts compulsory ICJ jurisdiction, with reservations
- Suffrage: 18 years of age; universal and compulsory
- Executive branch:
- Chief of state: Governor Tanya BRYCE, and Prime Minister Phillip ACHEFIELD; note: Governor is both the Chief of State and Head of Government
- Head of government: Governor Tanya BRYCE, and Prime Minister Phillip ACHEFIELD; note: Governor is both the Chief of State and Head of Government
- Cabinet: Parliament nominates and selects, from among its members, a list of candidates to serve as government ministers; from this list, the Governor swears in the final selections for the Cabinet
- Elections: Party elects leader and deputy leader; when a given party is elected by the people in a federal election, the party leader becomes Governor and deputy party leader becomes Prime Minister
- Legislative branch: bicameral Federal Parliament consists of the Senate (144 seats - 12 from each of the six states; one-half of the members elected every three years by popular vote to serve six-year terms) and the House of Representatives (360 seats; members elected by popular vote on the basis of preferential representation to serve three-year terms; no state can have fewer than 10 representatives)
- Judicial branch: High Court, Chief Justice and ten other Justices by popular vote
- Political party in power: Liberal Democrats (Lady Tanya BRYCE)
- Main opposition party: National Labor Party (Winston Donald de AUGUST)
- International organisation participation: UN note – not bound by strict UN jurisdiction in certain matters; Empire of Baron (Regional Founder); IMC; BCTO, GHOB, BLO, BSC, BA [Baron Organisations]; SATO note – friendly status; LAGD note – friendly committed status; Interpol; WHO
Chimaea became a Commonwealth of the former British Empire in 1784, one year after the United States was formed in the Treaty of Paris. Chimaea fought a short war of independence in 1783, from which the beleaguered British granted them Commonwealth status, with the British Monarch as its constitutional, if nominal, head of state.
After the granting of independence, Chimaea took the opportunity and its position as a major power to annexe several other nations and create a Commonwealth. The position of Governor was voided, Parliament was dissolved and the incumbent declared himself King of the Commonwealth. The Commonwealth armies, led by the Lords and appointed aristocracy of the King, marched across a great expanse of neighbouring nations, quickly expanding the Commonwealth and hastily settling and resettling the population in an attempt to quash any rebellions before they could gain a foothold.
This state of affairs couldn't last, however, and the furthest-flung territories of the Commonwealth began insurrections. The Commonwealth military, already stretched by the speed of conquest, had to leave other states to put down these insurrections, giving those states an opportunity to declare independence of their own. Soon the Empire was locked in a long and bloody civil war that saw the birth of new nations and autonomies of the Commonwealth.
Following a military coup backed by the former Parliament, the King was deposed and a Governor reinstated. The Republic of Clock Hill, which has been annexed by the Commonwealth, was given independence as the beleaguered Commonwealth Army pulled back to reinforce territories closer to home. The new Governor created a truce with the warring states and, in a historic meeting, granted them independence and autonomy. Chimaea's borders became smaller and the floundering economy was stabilised and grew.
It was around this time that Street Island declared independence from the Commonwealth. In a move that surprised the nations involved and moved away from his stance of peacemaker, the Governor of Chimaea decreed Street Island a part of Chimaean territory. The military were ordered into Street Island and the dissidents were rounded up and brutally murdered, eliciting international outcry. The calls within and without Chimaea for Street Island independence, from a public now sick of violence, went unheeded and ignored.
In time, the Commonwealth took on complete democracy. The Governor was given the role of an executive head of state rather than a monarch in all but name, answerable to the Chimaean Parliament. Street Island was given semi-autonomous status with its own Parliament and Prime Minister, and the other nations still within the Commonwealth was given representation in the Chimaean Parliament and in local councils. Chimaea joined the Empire of Baron, a region of neighbouring nations, and rose to eventually become the Regional Delegate, first to the League of Nations and then later the United Nations. This enabled Chimaea to answer the call and actively contribute troops and resources to the first two World Wars. Ever since, Chimaea has had a long tradition of military service, in wars such as the Amerigo Slaver War, the Chimaean-Clock Hill War, the Street Island Crisis, and a whole host of military and humanitarian interventions within other nations such as Hrstrovokia and Colombia, as well as diplomatic intervention in areas of tension such as Ienotheisa.
Most recently, the elected Governor was unseated in a bloodless military coup led by General Garrison, the Commander in Chief of the Chimaean Armed Forces. Citing Constitutional powers in times of crisis, General Garrison nominated Lady Bryce, the daughter of former Governor Lord Kyle Bryce, as Governor until fresh elections can be held. These elections have been put off as the situation in Street Island worsened, resulting in Street Island being reinstituted as a state of the Commonwealth.
Economic Overview: Chimaea has a modernised, Western-style capitalist economy on par with the best economies in the world. Rising domestic output as well as international trade agreements have overcome the economic slump during the former Bryce Administration, and business and consumer confidence remains high even though income tax rates have risen to a new high. Free trade between the ‘Chimaean-bloc’ Baron nations and an emphasis on reforms in the domestic and international markets, such as careful control of tariffs and firm regulation of corporate policies, have led to a frightening up-turn in the economy, which has survived massively increased military expenditure and high security concerns.
- GDP: $139,323,794,700,535.95 USD
- National budget: $142,194,364,951,537.53 USD
- Population below poverty line: N.A., Government administered private-funded welfare system.
- Currency: Sil
- Currency code: CS
**Taken from Thirdgeek Calculator, RPed economy more realistic**
Chimaea has one of the most liberal societies in the Empire of Baron and ranks high worldwide. It is a place where any sexuality was accepted and encouraged, where anyone may have entered state marriage (though religions are respected and expected to maintain their own laws) and anyone may choose to believe whatever religious, ethical or moral framework they wished. Most major towns and cities had a 'religious quarter' devoted to places of worship and congregation and it was not unexpected to see Christians, Buddhists, Moslems and every other religion co-existing peacefully and with mutual respect.
Discrimination on gender is strictly prohibitted; women and men are free to obtain any work or attain any position or role they please. An example of this was the successful campaign by women in the armed forces to be allowed in front-line and in combat during the 1960s; by 2004 several high ranking commanders were women and hundreds of thousands of women served as combat troops.
The rule of law holds sway throughout Chimaea. Progressive policies in education, successful implementation of a government administered, private-funded welfare system and a well-funded and trained police force spelled an almost crime-free society as well as high rate of employment, with no-one living below the pverty line.
Chimaean society stands as a shining beacon of peace, tolerance and prosperity in the world.
- 3, 855, 000, 000 (January 2005 Estimate)
- HIV/AIDS – Adult Prevalence Rate: 0.00004
- HIV/AIDS – People Living with AIDS: 1700 (2005 Estimate)
- HIV/AIDS – Deaths: Less than 50 (2005 Estimate)
- Noun: Chimaean(s)
- Adjective: Chimaean
- Ethnic groups
- Caucasian (European, Russian, American etc.) 46%, Asian (Chinese, Indian, Sri Lankan etc.) 13%, African-Middle Eastern (Egyptian, South African, Israeli etc.) 15%, Other 8%, Non-Human (Catgirl, Elven etc.) 18%
- Definition: Age 15 and over can read and write
- Total population: 100%
- Male: 100%
- Female: 100%
Main article: Chimaean Armed Forces
- Military budget: $30,657,105,083,551.49 USD; 22% of Annual Budget
- Military branches: Chimaean Armed Forces – Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corp, Coastguard, Reserve
- Military manpower:
- Age: 18 years of age
- Active military personnel: 18, 274, 846 (male and female)
- Available military personnel: 34, 746, 328 (male and female)
- Military trained manpower: 914, 000, 000 (male and female, 2004 estimate; compulsory military basic training, with elective advanced training)
- Military Commander in Chief: General Sebastian de SANTURO
- Overall commander: Governor Tanya BRYCE