This article deals with Den Helder as it relates to NationStates. For more general information, see the Wikipedia article on this subject.
Den Helder is located in the northmost point of the province of Holland in Knootoss. A naval town, Den Helder is known first and foremost as the main harbour of the Marine of the Knootian Defence Force. Extensive naval facilities accomodate many of the the Ondeugd-class Battleships and Air Defence Cruisers of the Dutch Democratic Republic.
The city is recognised as being of great strategic importance in Knootian military doctrine, and as its location is significantly far away from the Knootcap mobile defensive perimiter the area around the town is believed to have been reinforced with space for inundations as well as other defensive works comperable those around northern Amsterdam
In 1581 a band of corsairs under the command of William of Knootcap captured the town of Den Helder from a small Lavenrunzian garrison during the war for Knootian independence. This mostly symbolic act was key in inspiring the Knootian Revolt, and many cities soon followed in denouncing their allegiance to the Lavenrunzian Emperor.
Due to its strategic location, multiple fortifications were built around the area of Den Helder. During the Knootian Golden Age ships would assemble near Den Helder, from there to sail the oceans of the world. The Knootian East India Company did not have a Chamber in the town however, and its merchants always remained more oriented on Atlantic trade - facing fierce competition from their Pantocratorian counterparts. The Confederate fleet of the United Provinces of Knootoss often used Den Helder as an assembly point. It was therefore no sursprise that the city was home to the Treaty of Den Helder, which marked the end to the First War of Insolence. During the Second War of Insolence the city was raided unsuccesfully by the Pantocratorians.