Knootian East India Company
|Knootiaansche Oostindische Compagnie|
The Knootian East India Company (Knootiaansche Oostindische Compagnie in Dutch) was established in 1602, when the government of the United Provinces of Knootoss granted it a monopoly to carry out Knootian colonial activities in a host of regions, also conferring many sovereign powers on the company, including the right to wage war and conclude peace. It is considered one of the first companies that issued shares of stock.
The Company consisted of 6 Chambers (Kamers) in Amsterdam, Middelburg, Enkhuizen, Delft, Hoorn and Rotterdam. Delegates of these chambers convened as the Heeren XVII (the Lords Seventeen). The Kamers contributed delegates to the seventeen in proportion to the capital that they had subscribed; Amsterdam's delegates numbered eight.
In the nineteenth century, Tanah Burung was brought under colonial rule. Traders from the Knootian East India Company first took over the island of Tiga Burung by force, and gradually began to extend their economic dominance over Tanah Burung. At the same time, coastal kelurahan came under pressure from the expanding Burung Paradis inland empire under Jayawarnam III, who brought Matebian, Loro Sae and Atsabe under his rule and weakened Burung-yang-membuat-dunia to the point where it became easy prey for the Knootians. Eventually, Tanah Burung became a colony of Knootoss known as the Knootian East Indies. After the death of Jayawarnam VI, the Sultanate fell into a succession dispute. Rival claimants emerged and after Knootian intervention, the kingdom was split into three parts, based in Burung Paradis, Atsabe and Loro Sae. The court of Atsabe came under Knootian dominance and allowed the Knootians to establish their capital at a city they called New Hoorn. From here, they extended their colonial rule by stages until all of the present land of Tanah Burung was united as the Knootian East Indies, a colony owned by a European corporation.
(For more information, see the article on Tanah Burung)