Tarragat Island War
A conflict between the Glorious Dominion of Deltannia and the Dictatorship of Rennd. Length: 300 TU. Battle density: 304.1%
Tarragat Island is located in the Byzantine Sea in Southeast Europa. Rennd is along the mainland, the nearest nation to the island.
The Dictatorship of Rennd began a campaign to capture and remove the oil/gas refineries from Tarragat Island, furthering its efforts to claim the island and its tribal inhabitants. In the defense of the corporations, the workers, and the Tarragat Island Outpost, Deltannia launched its counter.
The Tarragat Island Outpost serves as a remote naval base on the other side of Europa for Deltannia's large sea power. The Battle of the Tarragat Island Outpost was the first clash between sides in sea and air. Both navies battled twice over the course of several days, Deltannia claiming victory by a small margin due to its Broadshield defense system that managed to repel Rennd's ships and submarines. In air, nearly all fighters were destroyed. The outcome, however, was significant in that while Deltannian Swiftstrikes were engaging the Renndian Harriers, transport helicopters from nearby Rennd managed to land marines in a clearing several miles downrange, in an effort to take the refineries from behind.
A marine defense of Refinery Code One was set up by Deltannia, with the Social Alliance of Mongol-Swedes aiding with troops and artillery on the side. The Greater Holy Empire of Tagmatium aided Rennd for a short time, helping to break through Refinery Code One. The Renndian troops pushed their way through Refinery Code Three, with the first two being leveled by Mongol-Swede 155 mike-mikes. When the Deltannian marine defense was nearly decimated, the survivors retreating, the Renndians marched through the entire complex. Currently, they are looking for a way to systematically blow up the entire refinery network.
After the defense of Tarragat Island Outpost, the entire fleet in this area was mobilized to strike at Rennd itself. Targeting military installations, arrays, sites and complexes, and bases, the battered navy began an assault on the mainland. The culmination of their efforts landed them at the Battle of Port Liaz, in which heavy casualties were amassed on both sides. After Deltannian reinforcements arrived, the battery network of Port Liaz was destroyed, followed by a two-pronged attack on the Renndian fleet. After their retreat, the Deltannians claimed victory over the Port, allowing them entrance to land troops onto the mainland of Rennd.
Invasion of Rennd
With Port Liaz now open from the attack, Deltannian troops were able to being moving along the surrounding coast and inland areas. The Army had finally arrived via troop transport, along with more marine forces, to begin an attack on various coded targets. Mobile Bureau of Occupation (MBO) forces began moving into captured areas to administer them for the duration of the active war. During the peace process, Deltannia agreed to retreat from its captured points and to move its fleet 12 miles out to sea should anything occur.
The nation of Tamurin offered its services to begin the peace process for the Tarragat Island War. President Axmann's idea of the Conference for Security and Cooperation in Europa (CSCE). Several breaches of security and terrorist plots prevented the delegations from coming together and meeting, also keeping Deltannia's primary representatives away from the actual negotiations.
The final peace talks were conducted aboard the neutral shipping vessel Halkan for a small fee. Because of the lack of delegates available, Deltannians sent Fleet Admiral Hayne Shya as its primary representative while Rennd sent Foreign Minister Gerald Heraldquin. Both parties concluded the following:
- Deltannia will be allowed to keep its military outpost, as well as standard forces prior to the conflict. Its territory will extend to include the rebuilding of the refineries (see below) a total of 10 miles in radius. Deltannia will be allowed to keep border patrols throught its territory. Deltannia's offshore boundaries remain the standard 12 miles.
- Both parties are to pay equal shares of money in order to rebuild the lives of the natives, including but not limited to reconstruction of property and items, reconstruction of all tribal systems as needed. Both will also provide limited aid to improve the quality of life as they see fit.
- In order to pay for removal of rubble of the old refineries, clearing of the new land of the refineries, the building of new refineries, as well as compensation for work lost by the employees, Rennd will pay 4 million commie-coins in reparations. Deltannia has agreed to pay 2.5 million daliums in order to aid the process. (Conversion rate at time: 1 dalium = 12.6326 commie-coins). Rennd will pay another 1 million if its economy improves to the point where it is able to support this addition.
- The new refineries are to include the following provisions:
- Dock for material transport by sea only from offshore platforms and rigs
- Each refinery is to comply with Deltannian building codes and regulations
While student protest has often been a form of dissent during times of war in the past, an unlikely source joined against the Deltannian military during the war. After the Levanese Ancients were drafted, the majority of them, following their leader, chose to prevent Deltannia from continuing its course of 'unjustice' in this war. Setting up blockades, the majority of them prevented supplies and reinforcements from reaching the refinery battlefield, while others aided in the fight, only to be completely decimated by overwhelming Renndian manpower.
Since the protest battles have occurred, leaving the Ancients force greatly depleted, the Deltannian marine force has requested that they be sent in to rescue stranded soldiers within the refineries, as helicopter retrieval became too dangerous after the Renndians set up an anti-air defense.