The strategic island - later known as Citadel Island - at the confluence of the Valmiera and Excalbia Rivers was first settled in the 10th century by Norse colonists. A wooden fort was constructed on the ridge overlooking the river late in the 10th century. A stone fortress, later known as the Citadel of Excalbia, was constructed in the 12th century and became the seat of the Baron of Excalbia in 13th century.
By the 16th century, Citadel Excalbia had become a battleground for the warring Highland Kingdoms. In 1565 King Alsgood, the Great captured the fortress during his campaign to unify the Highland Kingdoms. He established it as his capital in 1594.
The city is now the capital of the Holy Empire of Excalbia.
Important historical sites in the city include the Citadel of Excalbia (1), the 17th century Sweyn Castle (2), the Imperial Chancery (4) and the Imperial family's chapel - the Church of the Redeemer (3) - which are located on the ridge overlooking the river and the Imperial Preserve Island.
In the city centre other sites include the 16th century City Hall (8), the Imperial Gate (7) of the former city wall, Miller House (15) - the official residence of the Chancellor, the National Theatre (43), the 17th century Ministry of Treasury (10) and the Imperial Senate (20). The religious history of the city can be seen in the ruins of the first Baptist mission church (6), built in 1799, that was burned to the ground after the Lowland uprising of 1801.
Following the conversion of Emperor Joshua and the establishment of Christianity as the state religion, Excalbia Cathedral (9) was built as the See of the Church of Excalbia. Other important churches in the capital include St. Mary's Roman Catholic Cathedral (33), St. Matthew's Orthodox Cathedral (35), St. Mark's Anglican Cathedral (37), the First Baptist Church (38), Excalbia Methodist Church (42) and the National Ecumenical Cathedral (12).
Major construction projects carried out in the 19th century include the Imperial Palace of Excalbia (27), Holy Spirit Imperial Cathedral (18), the Imperial State Opera (17), the Ministry of Defence (11) and the Old Ministry of State (13).
Prominent embassies include those of Pantocratoria (22), Varessa (23), Upper Virginia (24), the C.S.S. (25), Lavenrunz (26) and The Resurgent Dream (28). Many other embassies are located on Citadel Island.