The Hague is a beautiful city behind the dunes in Knootoss that is part of the Knootian capital Knootcap. The Hague is the Knootian centre of government, and home to Parliament (the Staten-Generaal), most Knootian ministries, the military command centre and the civil service of the Knootian Federation. The Hague was shelled during the Shadow War by the navy of Dyelli Beybi but most of the city has been rebuilt since then. The mayor of the city is Jan Willem Daatman
The Hague was originally a hamlet close to a castle built in the 13th century, inhabited by a count. The village itself was first recorded in a document dated 1370. It was never granted a charter (which entitled medieval villages to erect defence walls and dig moats as well as giving villages certain privileges such as the right to administer justice.) Attempts by The Hague to obtain a Charter were continuously thwarted and noblemen in the Large Hall of the Count’s Castle administered justice. From 1851 onward, local legislation no longer distinguished between city and countryside.
's-Gravenhage is the official name for The Hague and it literally means 'the Count's hedge'. Although The Hague is a the third largest city in Knootoss it is still known today as 'the largest village of Knootcap'.
Coat of Arms
The Hague boasts its own Town Arms, which is described as follows: In gold a striding stork of a natural colour, holding in its beak a sable-coloured eel. The shield is covered by an antique count's crown and held by two golden lions looking round. The illustration is based on the medieval storks that used to build their nests on the little island in the Hofvijver pond. This was seen by The Hague population as a sign of fortune as the storks would finish off all the fish remains after the fish market. These fish would otherwise rot and cause infectious diseases.
The Hague, 'widow of Tanah Burung'
The Hague is also known as the 'widow of Tanah Burung'. Before its independence, Tanah Burung was a Knootian colony. People working there took regular leave to go home to the Republic. Once here, they would stay in The Hague, which also housed the Ministry of Colonies. Hotel Des Indes on the Lange Voorhout used to accommodate many of these travellers on leave. There was a second Hotel Des Indes in New Hoorn (now called Ukun Rasikan) but this hotel has since closed down.
Between 1850 and 1900 the Burungi residential area was built in The Hague. Here many former colonials took up residence in houses along streets that were named after the regions, which make up the Knootian East Indies. Following Tanah Burung Independence thousands of Knootians and Burungi chose repatriate, many finding jobs at the Ministries. While the Ministry of Colonies has since closed, The Hague still offers more Burungi restaurants and tokos (shops) than any other town in Knootoss.