|Info: NSEconomy RC XML|
Although NationStates roleplayers were very segmented in the beginning, spread among small regions, huge communities of united roleplayers have sprung up. They organize themselves in regions, some with offsite forums. Two of the larger communities are European Affairs and the Meritocracy. However, while regions such as The New Meritocracy or the Heartland are based on peace and dialogue between nations, Europe is a much more bellicose region, with common diplomatic conflicts and wars among its nations.
The level of dedication given by the European players to its region is well known. Fictional flags, imaginary countries based in real countries or in historical regimes, common sporting events like organized football championships, and even pictures of the fictional nations' licence plates can be found in Europe.
Most of the fictional nations in Europe are analogies of historical regimes or real nations. Erlangen-Ansbach, for instance, is the image of an alternative Bavarian Constitutional Monarchy. The oppressive and militaristic Dominion of Sortain and the Helian State of Rokolev can be compared to Nazi Germany, Azores reflects Portuguese fascism and Nosterra Italian fascism. Twente is Europe's superpowered Vatican, Great Britannia is an allusion to the British Empire, Rumeli is based on the Ottoman Empire.
Commonly, players tend to adapt their nations to their native cultures, using their native languages as their nation's main languages. However, others like to roleplay countries based on their favourite countries.
Some, however, are based purely on political or philosophical ideals, without being 'based' on a real nation. However, no nation can avoid real world influences completely. Alamein is, for instance, based on a theoretical utopian democracy, but has minor influences from Athenian democracy, the Roman Republic, the British Empire, Switzerland, and various other sources.
War and diplomacy
Europe is a region well known for its war-related roleplaying. It permits its players to roleplay a war without very well defined rules, which gives its participants a sense of freedom to act. Several successful wars fill the history of Europe, such as the Invasion of Monkecia, the Ofrecioan Ocuppation, or more recently, the Israel-Palestine civil war.
However, certain problems always appear. They are mainly related to the deployment of forces or the exaggeration of numbers. This is a situation called godmodding, in which impossible situations appear. Players tend to ignore godmodding acts, in order to keep situations as realistic as possible.
The linguistic communities
Europe is a land of cultural and linguistic diversity. Although the main language of the community is English, some linguistic communities have grown large enough to compose their own sub-communities, which even have private forums for exclusive conversation in those languages. That's the case of the Związek Słowiański and the Nederlandse Taalunie.
The ZS is the oldest linguistic organization in the community. It's composed of Slavic language speakers, and includes a wide variety of members, most of them being Polish. On the other hand, the NTU is based on the Dutch language and has seen a huge growth in recent times, as there is a rather large Dutch participation in the board.German and Portuguese speakers now have their own Unions.
Recently there have been immigrants bringing with them Oriental and Asian languages, amongst these are Japanese/Nipponese Han/Mandarin and other linguistic groups.
Alliances and major powers
The region is also known for its constant Cold Wars. Huge alliances such as the left-wing Union or the conservative MIT struggle for their spheres of influence. Meanwhile, smaller alliances like the right-wing RWB or the pacifist ADL try to impose themselves as major powers. Nuclear wars are often imminent, diplomatic insults are constant and every nation lives in constant alert for needed mobilizations.
A full list of European alliances can be found in the major European alliances article.
Other relevant entities
Other organizations that do not qualify as full alliances exist in Europe. These organizations are mostly either economic or political in nature.
- The European Union - This organization is very similar to the real European Union. Every season, the EU nations elect from among their ranks several members to lead the organization. Every proposed motion needs to pass member voting. The EU also includes the European Court of Justice and the Human Rights Protectorate.
- European Red Cross - Responsible for sending aid to wars and other catastrophes.
- ASEN - Association of Southern European Nations. It is a political and economical association formed by Southern and Central European nations.
- BEC - Bank of European Currencies. Responsible for fixing exchange rates between national currencies and the Euro.
- Stuttgart Treaty - Anti-WMD treaty signed by most European nations after the Azorean Crisis.
There are several other organizations, but these are the most relevant.
The nations of Europe
Europe has a wide variety of nations: from Stalinist dictatorships to utopian democracies.
List of Active Nations
For a quick guide to Europe, thumb through The Hitchhiker's Guide to Europe.
- Alamein - A utopian social-democratic system makes sure nobody is ever unhappy and claims to be the most advanced nation in Europe. The fusion power system has made it a garden paradise. It has a small Empire and a large Commonwealth of nations. The former Consul's title is now Venator.
- Arendaal - A liberal, peaceful, democratic Scandinavian Constitutional Monarchy, known for it's tolerance and scenic beauty.
- Azores - An extremely capitalistic and meritocratic Republic ruled by a powerful Prime Minister. It's a mix between [[Wikipedia:Ant%F3nio_de_Oliveira_Salazar|Salazar's]] and Dolfuss' regimes. Arguably the most powerful economy in the region.
- Baronovia - The Duchy of Baronovia is based losely on 19th century Prussia with a strong monarch and weak parliament. Has close ties with it's neighbors, Montelimar and Gothmouge.
- Bradivenland - An Imperial state trying to recover from a recent coup and ensuing civil war. Bradivenland is also known for its sometimes wacky news stories. The nation has its own language known as Bradivish.
- Cap Ebola - A totalitarian autocracy, known for it's eccentric leader and its strong hemp-producing industry.
- Centric - A militarist and capitalist cictatoriship, based on the Galactic Empire of the "Star Wars" series. It is one of the great powers of the Trade Federation and the Northeast.
- Christianan - A democratic-republic loosely based on Switzerland and the United States.
- Cidonia - A national-bolshevik state. It is a communist dictatorship with a nationalist touch, well seen among right-wing nations, and it has one of the biggest armies in Europe.
- Crotobaltislavonia - A modern and centrist constitutional monarchy along Europe's eastern seaboard.
- Cruz de Cristo - A Moral Right-Wing Monarchy with a single party: the Order of Christ. A country born from crusades against the infidels.
- Daracnia - An anarcho-capitalist version of the United States, Daracnia is something of a cultural melting pot, heavily influenced by its Gunnish roots and a haven for libertarian expatriates of all nations.
- Erlangen-Ansbach - A conservative state based on a Bavarian constitutional monarchy. In most of the political aspects, it bases itself on real-life Germany.
- Etats-Confédérés d'Europe - Based on a Federal Unified Europe, it is a left-leaning democracy which claims to have the biggest navy in the region. Other nations often refers to États Confédéres d'Europe as "ECE" or "Confederal Europe" (its former name), or (ooc) "Connie".
- Europaland - A libertarian socialist nation with a communist government which claims to be the most democratic in Europe. Has frequently been attacked by the fascist dictatorships of the region.
- The Fleurian Empire - A constitutional Monarchy in western Europe. The Empire is made up of several nations. The home nation is considered to be Marquette Fleurs. The Monarchy holds more power than the Imperial Parliament (usually just called parliament). It is a capitalist country. It has 2 African Colonies and one in the S. Pacific. Emerging as a medium power.
- Free Anglovictoria After the breakup of the Anglovictorian Federation, Alamein supported the creation of an independent nation in the Southern Isles. It shares the same government as the previous Anglovictorian Federation.
- Friedrichsgabe Friedrichsgabe is a socialist country currently turning towards capitalism. With ethnic groups emancipating, domestic and foreign conflicts dwelling and an interventionist government, Friedrichsgabe is surely one of the more event-rich places of Europe.
- Gothmouge - The Grand Duchy of Gothmouge in modeled after a mixture of Saxony and Switzerland with a dose of turn-of-the-century Hapsburgs thrown in. Closely allied with the Grand Duchy of Montelimar, the Grand Duke of that country being the nephew of the Grand Duke of Gothmouge.
- Great Britannia - A conservative, environmentalist democracy based on the British Empire. At one time, it had the largest overseas empire in Europe.
- Greater DCU - The Greater Democratic Communist Union has long been the most active and outspoken proponent of European Socialism.
- Gunnlandia - Claims to be an anarcho-capitalist version of Switzerland. It is also very militaristic and religious.
- Hanseatic Danzig - A small and relatively new nation in Europe, Danzig has yet to prove itself as a nation in Europe. Persues the policy of Europe with liberal economic laws as a whole.
- Helvetic Confederation - An extremely capitalist nation, a mix between Switzerland and the United States.
- Hugoland - A Constitutional Monarchy based on a monarchic version of Finland. It is a Christian Democrat nation with some social-democratic values, but assuming itself as right-wing.
- Imaginario - A left-leaning Democratic Republic based on an imaginary utopia where many different ethnic groups and cultures live in harmony. Founded by working-class hero John Lennon, after several nationalities fled from their countries of origin for political and cultural reasons.
- Islas de Pádrogüe - A collection of islands, this Constitutional Monarchy was formed from a collection of kingdoms and city-states. The current government leans toward the Democratic Socialist way of doing things. The citizens enjoy great political freedom and social equity. Pádrogüe is renowned for its natual beauty.
- Kelas - A Swedish-sytle nation with British infulences. Takes a Democratic-Socialist slant on most issues.
- Kheion - A right-wing democracy which favors capitalism, liberalism and rationalism and has a long and succesful history of industrialization, banking and trading. Claims to field the most comprehensive and effective homeland defense systems.
- Kryobaijan - A communist nation that has recently been involved in numerous regional conflicts. It is socially liberal, but does not grant its citizens many political freedoms.
- Liechtenistan - The most populated nation in Europe is a democracy with a small headache: a separatist movement which terrorizes the Liecten state of Aykafonisi. It is the host of many of the European Sport competitions and pornography cartels.
- Lovana - Democratic and economically powerful nation, known for its neutral standings in many affairs.
- Lovisa - Based on a Polish monarchy, it also hosts most of the sport competitions in Europe.
- Malat - Based loosely on Malta, Malat is a right-leaning constitutional monarchy that is in dynastic union with Erlangen-Ansbach.
- Michelsland - A moderate federation of democratic states. Pioneering a robust socialist free market, Michelsland leads the MFMA.
- Monkecia - A democratic-socialist state, totally unique and quite crazy, tends to be more violent towards its enemies. It is seen by most right-wing nations as a "rogue supporter of terrorism", and by the left as eccentric.
- Montelimar - A Grand Duchy based on the 14th to 15th century Duchy of Burgundy. A limited Constitutional Monarchy with the Monarch retaining a great amount of power. Has close ties with the nations of Gothmouge, Arendaal, and Baronovia.
- The NeoBritish Empire - Based on the United Kingdom, it is a relatively new nation.
- Nendeln - A former UN Delegate, Nendeln is closely related to the nation of Liechtenistan. It achieved full independence early last year (RL) and became UN Delegate for Europe early this year/late last year.
- Norselandjorda - A proud state now divided. Pioneer of Odalism.
- Odinium - A revival of the Roman Republic in the modern times; right-wing oriented country, barely democratic, which is highly militarized and has clear roots over Fascist ideology inside its society organization.
- Pascifitonia - An enviromentally stunning and peaceful nation with a strong economy and left-wing government.
- Platauria - A liberal, democratic, pascifist nation with great cultural and linguistic diversity.
- Radilo - A small nation that is the sister state of Nuttylnd. It has been a libertarian democracy ever since a Nuttian sponsored ousting of the old communist regime. It is somewhat based on Estonia (should Estonia unite with say Poland or Lithuania).
- Ruskastan - A Medium sized nation in Northeast Europe.
- Saxe-Coburg and Gotha -A conservative and capitalist-friendly state in the heart of Europe. The Grand Duchy is a popular holiday destination and tax haven for Europe's elites. The Royal House has family ties with many of the monarchies in Europe.
- Serbovia - A constitutional monarchy with a Scandinavian-type economic system. Influenced by Russian Empire and Yugoslavia.
- South Germany - Ruled by a military dictatorship, it is a pseudo-fascist state with the largest airforce in Europe.
- Sortain - A Nazi-like military dictatorship, it owns one of the largest armies in Europe.
- Spanish Kingdom - A Constitutional Monarchy, a nation mainly conservative, with a long history, wich has risen again as one of the continental powers.
- St Thomas - A Centre-Right mainly peaceful Monarchy with a moderate government and a OTT Deputy Prime Minister.
- Twente - The Vatican of Europe. Besides being the Holy Land of Twentish-Catholics, it is a theocracy ruled by Patriarch Nicodemus, the European version of the Pope. Also see 'DWENDE!'
- Tharlia - A Communist Government headed by a war hero. Known for Socialist tendancies and a lust for glory, the USST is now a powerhouse of industry.
- Unitiania - A progressive centrist nation in Southern Europe with a cultural mix of Modern Britain, Rome and the Ancient Hellenic City States.
- Vocur - An ACE moderate power, goverened by a blend of corporate and democratic ideals.
- Worksop - A confederal republican commonwealth. A socialist democracy and burgeoning maritime nation, it is a melting-pot of languages and cultures but with a strong Scandinavian base.
- The Xheng Dynasty - Also named the "Arch-Imperium of the Xheng Dynasty", is a monarchy that also from the orient but migrated to Europe. Unlike most nations it embraces modern ideas such as socialism and liberalism.
- The Portuguese Union - A liberal multi-culatural democratic socialist nation.
- Ujai - A centralist democratic nation that often does business for the best interests of the nation
- Yugostrana - A large heavily militarised union of six federal republics with a unique state-owned corporate economy. Home to some of Europe's biggest companies including the ITASS media giant. For decades Socialist, it is now ruled by a right-wing one-party Government.
- Wazistan- A Federal Republic, founded after the Great Revolution of 1970 which overthrew the Monarchy. Wazistan is a mostly Islamic nation that has a problem with a rebellious region known as Ghasa.
- Aahjkasllu - A pacifist, neoliberal republic which was destroyed by a nuclear attack from Nuttylnd. It was later reborn as New Aahjkasllu and was one of the main European financial centres. Its owner, who later changed his username to "EuroForumAdmin" is a historical European Affairs administrator.
- Alam - see NsWiki entry Alam.
- Anglovictorian Federation - formerly a Victorian capitalist haven. Due to internal conflicts which almost degenerated into a civil war, both Azorean and Alamein forces intervened, dividing the country in two: the Azorean Protectorate of Anglovictoria and the Free State of Anglovictoria. One island was later captured by Great Brittania, in the middle of the turmoil.
- The Dark Duchess - Sadly gone somewhere, nobody's entirely sure where. One of only three female forum members over the past two years or so. Which is sad. Changed government systems a lot. Was supposedly lusted after by all apart from that one gay guy who left instantaneously. Also known as Ze DD and Female.
- Greater DCU - The Greater Democratic Communist Union was once among the most active and outspoken proponents of European Socialism.
- Europe Omnimedia - Media Corporation which owns News Channel Europe, considered the most reliable news source in Europe. It has received several journalism awards for its detailed and objective reports on Europe's major events.
- ITASS Group - Giant Media corporation, operating in many European countries. It is a secretive corporation, controlled in part by the Yugostran government and controls a large part of the European media market.
- Spain - A Civil War broke out between the Marxist Republica Española and the fascist SNA/Falange. During the war, a multitude of small states such as Euskadi, Catalonia or Galicia declared independence from their former oppressors. Peace talks are being conducted between several foreign powers.
- Israel-Palestine - After the fragile balance between Christians, Muslims and Jews broke up and the government collapsed, several European nations occupied the territory with obscure "peacekeeping" purposes.
- The Monarchist Pact - The gathering of all nearly all European Monarchies. Member-nations are free, as this 'alliance' gives them no obligations. Constantly being threatened by the Rokolevian KGB.
- Twentish Catholicism - The Roman Catholic Church of Europe, this religion boasts the largest following in Europe. The church is centered in Nicodemople, founded by the Holy See of Twente in Israel-Palestine, and is headed by Patriarch Nicodemus.
After the fragile balance between Christians, Muslims and Jews broke up and the government collapsed, the nation descended to anarchy. Several powers, moved by religious lobbies or just for the simply wish of acquiring a colonial possession, moved their forces to occupy the largest cities. In a first phase of the conflict, several powers declared the independence of small puppet states. In response to the "imperialist" Einland advance in the East and the subsequent creation of the Commonwealth of Haifa, RWB forces started occupying the West. After the creation and death of several small states and terrible diplomatic tensions between the RWB forces and Einland, the Interlaken Treaty forces organized an election which ended up with the final partition of former I-P between the intervenient powers. Although most people recognized the election, some nations such as Great Brittania did not find this elections legitimate.
States created from Israel-Palestine:
- Commonwealth of Haifa, under jurisdiction of the Republic of Einland
- Zionist Republic of Israel, under jurisdiction of the Azorean Fascist Republic
- Palestine, under jurisdiction of the Nosterran Social Republic
- Horn of Israel, under jurisdiction of the Commonwealth of Medolai
- Patrimonium, under jurisdiction of the Twentish Catholic Church
The Great Southern War
Main article: Great Southern War
The tensions first began to build after a number of small skirmishes between the Capitalist and Communist Nations of Europe (which mainly happened in Europaland and Prax, where Qantrix fought forces from Europaland and Greater DCU). The great war between Capitalism and Communism happened in the south of Europe. A Civil War had been going on in Vocur for a while between the communist government and capitalist revolutionaries, the Vocur Nationalist Liberation Front (VNLF). The VNLF requested 4 Patriots (anti-aircraft systems) from a Qantrixian Company and, under escort from the Qantrixian Navy, these were brought to the coast of Vocur, where the Greater Democratic Communist Union set a Ultimatum that the Escorts (with the patriots) should leave the region within 48 hours. After Qantrix refused to accept this a war broke out.
The first stage of the war was a huge naval conflict, the navies of Gunnlandia, Kheion, the Azores, Daracnia and Qantrix faced the navy of Greater DCU. Many battles were fought as the Red Navy fleet (GDCU) tried to avoid the enemy forces but eventually the fleet and its flagship, the Golden Heron, was destroyed. Not long after that, Qantrixian bombers and missiles heavily bombed the capital of Verde City. However Greater DCU Naval Aviation succeeded in destroying both Qantrixian off-shore fleets. The scope of the war was then broadened as a full land war broke out as the Red Army (again GDCU) launched full invasions of both Vocur and Daracnia.
After a month of fighting a cease-fire has been achieved in Daracnia after negotiations in Aartrijke (a protectorate of Erlangen-Ansbach). In Vocur (a nation covered by jungles) heavy fighting continued as over a million soldiers from Greater DCU faced an equally large coalition of Azores, Gunnlandia, Kheion, Nuttylnd and Qantrix. However, nations grew tired of this war and a cease-fire has been achieved between most nations involved. The Treaty of Gaasbeek partitioned Vocur - the People's Republic of Vocur control the west of the country with GDCU aid, while the VNLF formed Republic of Vocur in the east. Republic of Vocur's refusal to sign the treaty ensures that tensions remain high along the border, although not once has the cease-fire been violated after it was announced.
Operation Lustiger Glückshase
On January the 14th of 2005, a large coalition existing out of the nations of Cidonia, South Germany, Qantrix, Adelyne, Rokolev, Alamein, Greater DCU and the DDR (later on other nations would join in) declared war on the Dominion of Sortain, one of the largest nations in Europe, for various reasons, some dubious, others not. Soon the attack began with a Qantrixian Attack on the Sortainian Territories in the Western Continent (Moldor.)In a response, Moldor (which splitted off from Sortain (although it fought along side Sortain,)) launched nukes at Cidonia (the main aggressor in the war) and South Germany 6 nuclear missiles struck Cidonia, crushing the great nation and causing it to split into six states. The war theatre near the Sortainian mainland died down after the initial fierce attacks from South German, Cidonian, and Alamein forces.
In Moldor however the fighting continued, the war between Moldor and Qantrix had developed in a trench war, with heavy fighting going on for every metre, but after the nuclear weapons had been fired from Moldor the Qantrixian government began thinking about a nuclear strike, which finally resulted in a number of them, heavily destabilising Moldor. Before the Qantrixian government could take advantage of this however, it imploded due to a number of assasinations, of the heads of government and military. The nation divided in various spheres of influence, among which Formossa, which was in control of the Qantrixian Navy, they had assasinated the Government and quickly began a campaign of terrorism against the other states, within 2 weeks however the opposition (existing mainly out of militia's and reservists) was crushed by Formossa.
The new Czarist Confederation was eager to keep the troops in Moldor fighting as it hoped on gaining Moldor, they claimed that they were the Qantrixian government (and also immediatly spread newspapers at the front claiming that on all fronts the Qantrixian army was winning) soon the Moldorian army had some defeats, which caused the implosion of Moldor as their army broke and fled. The Formossians gained control of both Qantrix and Moldor, becoming one of the biggest nations in Europe.