|Info: NSEconomy RC XML|
Antarctic Oasis is a moderately sized region with about 70 nations and a population of over 100 billion. It is also the largest region in the NationStates world claiming Antarctic real estate, having long since surpassed Antarctica in number of nations. Initially formed from the wreckage of former Valdesian nations, Antarctic Oasis was purportedly the world's last unspoiled Antarctic wilderness -- that is, until powerful civilizations invaded, building massive ice cities in the desert and mountains and dotting the receding glaciers with thriving seaports. Soon, the shady leaders of the region's rogue nations had an extensive commercial paradise on their hands, relentlessly harvesting the Earth of its gold, uranium and oil reserves, and finding new and terrible ways to abuse the indigenous penguin -- including drafting the more vicious ones into military service and forcing the less useful into lives of servitude as butlers or test subjects in the region's many secret experimental weapons labs.
Antarctic Oasis is strictly a rogue region -- only the scummiest dictatorships, corporate dominions and evil-conservative republics populate this frozen wasteland, where UN membership is neither condoned nor condemned -- and members adhere to a strict "shoot on sight" rule for any UN official spotted inside the region's sovereign borders. Region members cherish their natural isolation from the international community, which allows them to partake in any number of duplicitous deeds away from the watchful eyes of the United Nations or international environmental and human-rights organizations.
Despite its contempt for the United Nations, the region has become known as a leader of UN legislation, its members being prominent advicates for national sovereignty, free trade, international security, sensible internationalism and repeals of flawed and wasteful legislation. The region's UN team members have gotten 35 proposals to quorum, 24 of which have passed.
Though mainly known for its fiercely loyal penguin warriors, Antarctic Oasis does boast other interesting sentient wildlife. Medieval Gnomish Warbands, servants to the nation Carson the Muscrat, roam the lands hunting for UN gnomes. The Palentine has inducted dolphins into its navy, mainly for the purposes of detecting underwater mines, but their service as seamen has rendered their mouths the scourge of the southern seas. Parents must shield their children's virgin ears whenever a Palentine Navy Dolphin is near; they talk so filthily, they have been immortalized in a Palentine Board of Tourism slogan: "Come visit The Palentine: Our Dolphins Swear Like Drunken Sailors!"
The region has also been known for housing abominable snowmen, and has been threatened before with bands of mutant polar bears.
- Main article: Antarctic Oasis' Greatest Hits!
The Federal Republic of Omigodtheykilledkenny founded Antarctic Oasis in May 2005 following a seismic catastrophe in its former Valdesian environs; other Valdesian nations sought refuge in the Antarctic when most of their former neighbors were enveloped in the monumental disaster -- and dozens of nations followed suit.
Antarctic Oasis's early days were marked by Palixia's n00bish attempts to drag the region into a war with some irrelevant communist nitwit, and then to wrest the delegacy away from OMGTKK. When the nation finally left, some decided maybe the region could find better things to do with its time. In December, the infant Allied Antarctic Asskickers (AAA) participated in a brief incursion into The Eternal Kawaii to halt the theocracy's nuclear ambitions.  The region on the whole became more actively involved with United Nations affairs, and began attracting major UN powers like Cluichstan and Gruenberg into the fold. In February 2006 the UN ratified the region's first resolution, a repeal of Gay Rights. Nineteen other resolutions from Antarctic Oasis nations would eventually pass, with region members sponsoring over a quarter of all passed resolutions between the time that Repeal "Gay Rights" (Feb. '06) and Passport Standardisation Act (Oct. '07) were adopted. (See Legislation.)
Several regional powers joined in OMGTKK's invasion of Chechnya in early 2006 , and later that year, region members adopted formal treaties for the AOEAA free-trade zone and the AAA.   The Regional Security Council and the regional defense HQ both opened for business in September.   Also that month, Karmicaria's Queen Adrienne held a competition for suitors from across the region (and Ausserland) seeking her hand -- the result being that the nation's king would be a Kennyite. 
Noted Current and Former Nations
- Omigodtheykilledkenny, Founder, sponsor of Repeal "Gay Rights"
- Lois-Must-Die, regional standard-bearer (at least they like to think so) for unfettered oppression and corruption, you do NOT want to look up these guys' kilts
- The Palentine, regional defense secretary, former UN Delegate
- Karmicaria, sponsor of Outlaw Necrophilia and Sexual Privacy Act
- Kivisto, current UN Delegate, all-around creepy guy
- Gruenberg, former UN Delegate, Surly the Repealinator
- Cobdenia, sponsor of Diplomatic Immunity and Maritime Safety Standards Act, master disrupter of the space-time continuum
- Cookesland, active participant in international and UN affairs
- Allech-Atreus, now-defunct interstellar empire specializing in ultra-advanced superweaponry, insane genetic experiments, sensible UN policy
- Snefaldia, currently bucking for most radical theocrats in the region (nipping at Gruenberg's heels)
- South Jenstown, *pours Diet Coke on Aki* *giggle giggle*
- Complete Malevolence, former crazies who ran for delegate, now host of Regional Diplomatic Corps
- (New)LaivNFang, one of the region's few proud democracies
- Iron Felix, former Yeldan UN ambassador and Pleiades Delegate, perfector of the ancient art of defenestration
- WhaleCo Global LLC, really not so much a nation as it is a joint business venture between several AO nations seeking to circumvent a UN whaling ban
- Akimonad, pretty much the standard-bearers for inexplicable, discombobulating insanity
- Allech-Atreus Enclave, former colony of the late great Great Star Empire
- Cluichstan, former charter nation and foreign secretary, author of UN Counterterrorism Initiative, founder of UN DEFCON
- Islenska, superior gamers and kings of Strangers' Bar PDA grossout-fests
- Retired WerePenguins, repeatedly exhorted to shut the fuck up, never did
Regional Heads of State
The leaders of Antarctic Oasis powers actually aren't all the "militarist dictators" some have made them out to be. Although many regional heads of state are the absolute rulers of their respective nations, some (notably those of Omigodtheykilledkenny and LaivNFang) are democratically elected, and other despotic regimes retain democratic elements, such as Gruenberg and The Palentine. Still others are former despotic governments that have since converted to democracy, like Karmicaria.
- Emperor Allech-Atreus XVI of Allech-Atreus
- Dread Piratess Djohariah Illumina of Bloodstone Kay
- Governor General Sir Leslie of Cobdenia
- Emperor Ingvar Hardrada of Complete Malevolence
- President Alan Foxswift of Cookesland
- Sultan Gardab Woltzten IX of Gruenberg
- President Isabella Bathory of Karmicaria
- The Master of Kivisto
- President Kristian Hayes of (New)LaivNFang
- President Ali Rushafa of Lois-Must-Die
- President Manuelo Fernanda of Omigodtheykilledkenny
- Emperor Captain Spaulding I and Co-Empress Jhessan Spaulding of The Palentine
- CEO Pedro Ramirez of South Jenstown
- The Tuhran Bel of Snefaldia
- President Bobb Grant of StuckWithBadName
- Chairman Felix Dzerzhinsky of Yeldan Antarctic Enclave
- The Partnership of WhaleCo Global LLC
The regional government coordinates through an informal group of de-facto regional governors, or charter nations (currently OMGTKK, Lois-Must-Die, The Palentine, Gruenberg, Kivisto and Karmicaria) -- who are appointed by the Founder and in fact do absolutely nothing to govern the region, as charter nation status is granted more for prestige and bragging rights than anything else. However, several charter members bear other informal duties on top of their charter "obligations": The Palentine, for instance, serves as regional defense secretary and supreme allied commander of the Allied Antarctic Asskickers, and Kivisto has been afforded the title of secretary for foreign affairs.
Other bodies tackle other aspects of regional governance: the Regional Security Council coordinates AAA defense operations, and a (rather pointless) Secretariat was formed in June 2006 to oversee the regional free-trade zone, with several nations having appointed regional trade representatives.
Instituted in March 2007, the Antarctic Oasis Diplomatic Corps prides itself in doing absolutely nothing, rivaling the United Nations in wasteful bureaucracy, and giving some of the region's diplomats the chance to pull an easy paycheck. It's also supposed to be a central instrument for intraregional diplomacy, but don't tell that to any of the "diplomats" dispatched to the body. The designated ambassadors to the region are:
- Lenny Beteta, Omigodtheykilledkenny
- Tatyanna Corvus, Kivisto
- Gerrit Khush Denbrough, Allech-Atreus Enclave
- Felix Dzerzhinsky, Yeldan Antarctic Enclave
- Sigrún Eiríksdóttir, Complete Malevolence
- Binwad Ecll Fogglescloff, Gruenberg
- Julia Grigyan, Douria
- Carole Higgins, Karmicaria
- Mikey Mao, South Jenstown
- Hubert Puddledweller, Cobdenia
- Mayumi "Cutey" Sakai, The Palentine
- Andy Whatshisface, Quadalingo
The UN Delegate is considered the region's second-in-command. The region does not elect its delegate (though putting candidates through hell before the founder finally appoints one has become a cherished "Antarctian" tradition), nor does it conduct polls to determine how the delegate will vote on UN legislation. The current UN Delegate is Kivistan UN Bordello. Past delegates have included Omigodtheykilledkenny, Palentine UN Office and Gruenberg.
Despite the region's intrinsic anti-UN nature, a number of its nations remain actively involved in UN affairs, most of them adopting a decidedly sovereigntist policy line. Many among the region's UN contingent are members of the NSO, UNOG and UN DEFCON.
The Antarctic Oasis Department of UN Affairs maintains a record of the voting history of past and present UN Delegates, issues official announcements to the General Assembly about the delegate's vote on important legislation, and coordinates regional efforts to sabotage the UN and bring it down from the inside -- er, "work cooperatively with other regions and nations to formulate more sensible, sovereignty-friendly UN policies." The current secretary of UN Affairs is Lois-Must-Die.
The following UN resolutions were drafted and/or submitted by Antarctic Oasis nations:
- UN Resolution #144: Repeal "Gay Rights" (Omigodtheykilledkenny)
- UN Resolution #147: Abortion Legality Convention (Gruenberg)
- UN Resolution #150: UN Demining Survey (Gruenberg)
- UN Resolution #158: UN Recycling Commission (Gruenberg)
- UN Resolution #168: UN Counterterrorism Initiative (Cluichstan)
- UN Resolution #169: Child Pornography Prohibition (Gruenberg)
- UN Resolution #171: UN Educational Aid Act (Gruenberg)
- UN Resolution #175: Individual Working Freedoms (Gruenberg)
- UN Resolution #178: Outlaw Necrophilia (Karmicaria)
- UN Resolution #180: Fair Sentencing Act (Gruenberg)
- UN Resolution #185: Repeal "Hearing Impaired Aid Act" (Gruenberg)
- UN Resolution #188: Repeal "World Heritage List" (Kivisto)
- UN Resolution #189: Repeal "Due Process" (Karmicaria)
- UN Resolution #192: Sexual Privacy Act (Karmicaria)
- UN Resolution #196: Repeal "UN Educational Committee" (Gruenberg)
- UN Resolution #198: Emigration Rights (Kivisto)
- UN Resolution #202: Repeal "UN Biological Weapons Ban" (Karmicaria)
- UN Resolution #204: UN Bio Agent Convention (Kivisto)
- UN Resolution #208: Maritime Neutrality Covention (Cobdenia)
- UN Resolution #209: Repeal "Banning whaling" (WhaleCo Global LLC)
- UN Resolution #219: Accessible Family Planning (Omigodtheykilledkenny)
- UN Resolution #220: Repeal "SPCC Regulation Act" (Gruenberg)
- UN Resolution #225: Repeal "Max Barry Day" (Omigodtheykilledkenny)
- UN Resolution #226: Passport Standardisation Act (Cobdenia)
In addition, the following defeated UN proposals were drafted and/or submitted by region members:
- Repeal "Protection of Dolphins Act"
- Repeal "Fossil Fuel Reduction Act"
- Anti-Terrorism Act
- Repeal "Banning the use of Landmines"
- Repeal "Sexual Freedom"
- Clothing Supply Pact
- Repeal "Sexual Freedom"
- Unconventional Arms Accord
- Prohibition of UN Military
- Repeal "Mutual Recognition of Borders"
- UN Funding Act